PayPal is a popular global payments platform. It is a simple way to send and receive money – to buy and sell.
- It is free to setup and only takes a few minutes
- PayPal allows you to send money and also to receive money from friends, family or businesses
- You can link your PayPal account to your bank account to transfer money directly.
Perhaps, most usefully, PayPal can receive money in dozens of currencies – and handle the exchange for you (for a conversion fee of course).
We use PayPal at InfluencerActive to collect payment from customers and to send those payments to our Active Influencers. This is particularly useful if the country that you live in is not serviced by Stripe.
To setup a PayPal account
- Use your browser to visit the PayPal site
- In the top right corner of the web page, click the Sign Up button
- On the next screen you will need to decide whether you are setting up a business or personal account. If you are just wanting to receive payments for your InfluencerActive work, or to buy and sell on sites like eBay, then you can start with a personal account.
- On the next page you will be asked to enter your legal first and last names. You will also be asked for your preferred email address, your phone number and provide and confirm a password. When you complete this page and click the Next button, PayPal will send you a confirmation text message to your phone.
Adding a bank account or credit card to your PayPal account
Before you can send or receive money, you will need to connect a bank account or a credit card to your account. To do so:
- Login to your PayPal account using the email address and password that you just used
- Click the Wallet link in the menu at the top of the web page
- On the left hand side of the page you will have two options:
- Link a credit or debit card
- Link a bank account.
To link a credit or debit card
- Click the Link a credit or debit card option
- Enter the credit card details, including CCV code on the back of your card
- Select your address – or add a new billing address attached to your credit card
- Click the Link Card button.
To link a bank account
- Click the Link a bank account option
- Enter your bank type (eg “Savings”)
- Enter bank account name and numbers
- Click the Agree and Link button.
PayPal will then deposit a small amount of money into your account – usually less than $1. This confirms that the details of your bank account are correct. This information can also be then used to validate your access to that account which you can confirm in your PayPal account.